Dr. Woodson Appointed to Heads Council

January 24, 2014 at 15:04

MSD Editor

FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE

MSDWT Superintendent Appointed to the International Baccalaureate Heads Council

INDIANAPOLIS, IN (December 11, 2013) – Washington Township Superintendent Dr. Nikki Woodson has been appointed by the International Baccalaureate (IB) Organization’s Director General, to serve as a member of the Heads Council.  This is quite an honor as she is one of only three appointees from North America and Dr. Woodson is the only member representing American public schools.

In the appointment letter sent to Dr. Woodson, Director General Jeffery Beard wrote, “It is my pleasure to appoint you as a member of the Heads Council of the International Baccalaureate.  The US has over 40% of the total international IB school market, and it’s important for me to have an educational leader from the US on my council to advise me on the impact IB programs have in US public schools.  Your success in education and leadership has been both noteworthy and impressive to us in the IB.” 

“The Heads Council is an elected body that advises and cooperates with the IB on matters of concern to IB schools with reference to educational philosophy, curriculum development, finance, and offers practical support to the IB whenever possible. In particular the Heads Council acts as an advisory body to the Director General. It is comprised of 12 elected members; four Heads from each of the three regions:  Region 1 –  Africa, Europe, Middle East,  Region 2 -Asia Pacific and Region 3 – Americas.”  International Baccalaureate Organization (http://www.ibo.org/dg/councils/).

This is not only an honor for Dr. Woodson, but also a wonderful recognition for Washington Township and the district wide deployment of IB.  Washington Township is only one of few public school districts offering IB for all students in all schools.

Dr. Woodson states, “I am humbled and honored by this prestigious appointment.  I also continue to be proud of the work staff and administrators are doing in Washington Township to deploy IB district wide.  My participation on the IB Heads Council is certainly an honor, but I feel that I will gain IB knowledge, insight and networking through my volunteer service on the Heads Council that will benefit the district as well.”

More on IB in Washington Township at: http://www.msdwt.k12.in.us/?page_id=84

Washington Township successfully completed IB authorization for all 7 elementary schools in 2012 and just recently hosted the IB external review team to authorize all 4 secondary schools this past fall.